Thursday, November 1, 2012

31 Beautiful Things, Day 30: Boo

I can't believe we've been going trick-or-treating for 18 of our 19 years of parenting, but there you have it. I can't help but find it a beautiful thing, this long-time tradition stretching from my childhood in upstate New York to Ohio to Iowa and, for most of these years, in Tennessee. I can't even imagine how many conversations of "what should I be for Halloween?" have transpired among my children in these years. We've had bumblebees, firemen, Zorro, Batman, Darth Vader, Ironman, aliens, cowboys, Little Red Riding Hood, fairies, princesses, Pippi Longstocking, and so many more.

To dress up, to get candy, to be in disguise for one night, to feel autumn on their hands and feet and see a big orange moon rising: these kinds of nights I hope they remember as beautiful things.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to leave one. I have comment moderation on, so your comment will take a little bit to appear.