Monday, March 22, 2010

Monday Memory: Rings

Our 21st anniversary is coming up in a few days, and for some reason I had this picture stuck in my head when I thought about a Monday Memory. Randy's holding my ring, and our rings, in their utter simplicity, are one of those things I love so much about us.

We decided to get married, 21 and 1/2 years ago. We needed wedding rings, but of course we didn't have any money. So we went to a local store called Brendle's, which is pretty much like Sears. A step up from Walmart, you might say. I wanted a simple gold band; he wanted a slender white-gold one. Our rings cost $19.99 each. And that was all there was to it.

It wasn't until much later that I learned that people—real people that I actually know—spend thousands of dollars on wedding rings. And that made me love my $20 ring even more.

I still have my ring, although for our 10th anniversary, Randy bought me an anniversary band. Just a tiny bit fancier, but still simple. Like us. And I wouldn't trade it for the biggest rock on earth.

Well, unless my fingers get too fat and I have to cut the ring off. It could happen.

So tell me: how much did you spend on your wedding ring? Just kidding! I really don't want to know. I just hope it looks as right on your finger on your 21st anniversary as mine does.

8 comments:

  1. You are so right - it's not how much it costs but how much it means. My engagement ring is a Wally World special - $123. And I love it. Our wedding bands are even more special - made by my hubby's great-uncle. If I remember right, it was about $100 for both bands.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think my hubby paid about $10 for my simple gold band. Like you, I wouldn't trade it for anything. He always talks about getting me a better ring, but why? It is simple, like our wedding, and like us. Perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know how much my ring cost but I know it has so much love in it so it is priceless!
    It is a simple white-gold band with a heart in the center with a speck of diamond (it's there..really). I wouldn't want any other ring.
    It is great that you share your memories with all of us...even if they are intended to be just for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We were cash-strapped college students who were eloping. Pawn shop specials-about $56 dollars for two bands. My husband bought me a simple anniversary band for our 5th anniversary and that is what I wear now, but I will always cherish my original band.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that story! My hubby spent a little more than $20 on my diamond but definitely not 3 months' salary!! (Isn't that the "rule"?) He is always asking if I want to upgrade, and I honestly don't. It's jewelry; the significance behind it is what counts. Our wedding bands are from Africa where we grew up. We got them back when gold was cheap here and even cheaper in Africa. They were $50 each. Probably could fetch a handsome price these days, but not giving them up! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. we had nothing so I accepted one ring - a very simple thing.. .then 6 years later I got my diamone!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a sweet post! Made me tear up. :) You're so right... it matters not what the cost was, only what it meant to you!

    Jenny (aka Superwife)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just happened upon this (almost a year after you wrote it!) ... I have to say my ring was not inexpensive (but not nearly as expensive as some ... less than one month's salary, for sure) ... but it is so special to me. My honey was determined to buy me a nice ring that I would like, and so he took me to Zales and had me try on rings until I found one I really liked. The sales girl said, "Oh, and if you ever want a new one, you can "trade up" ..." I was like, "Excuse me? This is my WEDDING RING! Not a car!" LOL

    I never thought I'd like a solitaire, and yet that's exactly what I fell in love with. And the wedding band has two parallel swirls of small diamonds that wrap around one side of the solitaire. It's beautiful. My guy was so nervous the night we got married, he forgot the wedding band. Forty miles away from the church. No time to run home and get it. His groomsman's wife ran into the bride's room with her wedding ring, saying "He forgot yours, you're going to use mine." And I said, "No, I'm not. Take my engagement ring to him and we will use it." I could NOT bear the thought of getting married with someone else's ring!

    So we were married - he whispered "Pull my finger!" when I put his ring on his hand (Boys!) ... and then he insisted on driving the 40 miles back to the house to get my ring before we went 40 miles back to the beautiful hotel where we spent our first night as man and wife.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to leave one. I have comment moderation on, so your comment will take a little bit to appear.