Saturday, December 5, 2009

Weekly Wrap-Up

I sure do love this time of year. Most of our regular activities break for the season; Randy's classes are over at the university; Jesse's classes at the community college are nearly done; and our co-op classes are over until mid-January. There is an absolute plethora of Christmas events that go on nearly every day/night in our area; we choose a few each year and ignore the rest.

We get a lot of at-home time during the holidays. This week we did a bunch of math and grammar, tons of reading/history, and even creative writing. Now that we're caught up on my own creative writing lessons, it's time for another WordSmithery lesson; look for one next week sometime! We've also been enjoying our advent activities and have even baked our first batch of Christmas cookies.

While a break from our regular activities allows more "book work" to get done at home, I also love to take time at Christmas for more craft-making and cooking together. Laurel and I had fun making these two items together, and we're going to start baking up a storm next week. Now I just have to buckle down and get Duncan more involved in crafts. His main goals in life at this point are to build with Legos and climb trees. Those are good goals, I know, but perhaps he needs to branch out and decorate some ornaments.

We finished our first semester of World Lit/World Geography class that I teach for our high-school co-op. We are studying Asia and are having a fantastic discussion of Pearl Buck's The Good Earth as well as reading Pakistani, Japanese, Chinese, and Russian poetry. I hate to break in the middle of Asia, but we are all ready for vacation. I had fun and next week we'll skip regular class and meet for lunch at PF Changs.

Coming up next week: Laurel has two dance performances on Monday, our co-op's Christmas program is Tuesday evening (Laurel is dancing and playing her flute), and our American Heritage Girls annual Mother/Daughter/Grandmother Tea is Thursday afternoon. Besides that, we will be enjoying a week at home!

For more Weekly Wrap-Ups or to wrap-up your own week, visit Weird, Unsocialized Homeschoolers!

3 comments:

  1. Don't you love having a daughter to do projects with? We have 5 kids and only 1 girl, we've had fun decorating together.

    You have a beautiful family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Christmas projects! My oldest daughter is my creative one. My son will go along if dragged but not willingly. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Duncan has been making an ornament each school day this past week. I use workboxes and put all the pieces in one of his workbox. So far, he has made some foam ornaments from little kits I picked up at a craft store and some paper ones I printed on cardstock. For example, one was a cardstock Christmas tree. He colored the ornaments and then used green watercolor paint to paint the whole tree. The crayons resisted the paint so it was a neat effect. I am going to try to put some of the ideas on my blog but this week-end has been crazy with an all week-end swim meet. Your Duncan is so cute!
    Samantha

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to leave one. I have comment moderation on, so your comment will take a little bit to appear.