Friday, May 22, 2009

Overwhelmed

There are days like today that I am completely overwhelmed. I felt like Linda Blair in The Exorcist, with my head spinning around. (Yes, I did see that movie when I was 16. It was terrifying. And remember The Omen, with the evil kid Damien? I'm continue to be amazed the people actually name their sons "Damien." I don't get that.)

Anyway, back to my spinning head. I am overloaded. We have American Heritage Girls camp coming up in less than 10 days, and somehow we didn't quite realize the effect that Memorial Day weekend would have on camp planning. We had to cancel an AHG event due to lack of participation, and I really dislike doing that. Again, Memorial Day weekend. And then there is this little thing called "homeschooling" that we are trying to finish up by mid-week. I have a feeling we'll get woefully little done next week with all the camp planning.

It's all just little stuff, but I was feeling so overwhelmed earlier today. Preparing supper seemed like the final straw. What a simple cure: we went out to dinner. Being Dave Ramsey fans, we rarely go out to dinner; but tonight I just had to. And it was exactly the right thing to do. Sometimes, you just have to blow money for sanity's sake.

After dinner we chatted for awhile in our rock garden and then played a game of croquet with the kids, picking a few strawberries from our patch to munch on while we played. I can hardly even remember now why I was so overwhelmed.

I love perspective. And croquet is really fun, too.

11 comments:

  1. Sarah, you do too much. But what would we do without you? Do you have any pictures of your rock garden? Strawberries always make me feel better too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry you were feeling overwhelmed. Hugs to you! I'm glad you went out to eat & had some fun & quiet time!
    Sometimes you just need that! Hope you have a wonderful weekend! Holly

    ReplyDelete
  3. When your post came up in my reader, I saw the title and then the pic of your little guy resting on the rock.

    I empathize with you. Finishing up our school year, preparing for homeschool evaluations, my husband's finals... yeah.

    We are probably having take-and-bake pizza tonight, the closest I can come to eating out right now. Yes, sanity is priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sooooo understand how you are feeling. Luckily our scout year is over, art school is over and we just school year round becasue I HATE deadlines. ;-) Remember to take time and eat the strawberries...that seems much more satisfying than smelling roses.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I sure hope that you are able to find some peace in the coming weeks. I know that it's hard when you feel like you don't have a single minute to just sit back, relax, and regroup a bit. Enjoy the strawberries!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's good to know we are not alone in those feelings. You are so right, sanity is a whole lot more important than blowing a little extra on dinner. I have those days too. More often than I feel comfortable admitting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a good husband to realize that you needed dinner out!

    Yes, its all about perspective and a little rest for mama!

    ReplyDelete
  8. TAG! You've been tagged in a game.

    Go here to read it and play along:
    http://parakeetcollege.blogspot.com/2009/05/crazy-eights.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Boy, can I ever relate to this post. I'm with Mrs. Darling - what a great husband to realize that dinner out would be cheaper than therapy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad you're feeling better. I'm going to the movies tonight for the same reasons, though I am having a hard time getting past the guilt for spending the money. But, as your other commenter mentioned, it's cheaper than therapy. Or divorce or disease or, well, you get the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  11. hey sarah ... I love you ... and am in denial that may is almost gone which means I will not see you for yet another year. life is just moving too quickly for me these days.
    oh, and we put in a horseshoe pit this weekend (well, we got one pit dug and filled with sand). I think we will play it a lot this summer

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to leave one. I have comment moderation on, so your comment will take a little bit to appear.