Sunday, April 6, 2008

I'm Back!

April 6, 2008

All I can say is...Wow. I have had the most unbelievably amazing, refreshing, rejuvenating, motivating, energizing, reaffirming, and inspirational four days. Caroline and I have just returned from the American Heritage Girls National Leadership Convention in Cincinnati. We spent Thursday, Friday, and Saturday soaking in every bit of wisdom we could, gleaning ideas, sharing stories, learning, worshiping, (eating), brainstorming. Patti Garibay, founder and executive director of American Heritage Girls, absolutely rocks. I would like to spend countless hours absorbing her vision and energy.

Three years ago Caroline and I attended the 10-year convention. We had just finished our second year with our troop here, and we were tremendously inspired and motivated by the convention. We set a goal of having 5 troops in our area within 5 years, and three years later, we now have three troops in the Knoxville area. Both those troops has a leader at this year's convention, and we are so excited to continue growing American Heritage Girls in our area.

Are your girls part of American Heritage Girls? Is there a troop in your area?? If you've never heard of American Heritage Girls and have a girl in grades K-12, I encourage you to visit their website at www.AHGonline.org. American Heritage Girls is Christ-centered scouting for girls. The mission: to build women of integrity through service to God, family, community, and country. Questions on starting a troop? I'm always happy to share our story and get you started!

Post A Comment!.....


Comments

Sunday, April 6, 2008 - hmm, maybe I'll switch?

Posted by Jennifer in OR (69.88.229.219)

My almost 7 yr old is in her 2nd year of Girl Scouts. I've been happy with it so far but wonder if American Heritage Girls may be a better fit? I don't know if there's a group in my area, so I may have to start one if we decide to switch over. Any thoughts on Girl Scouts vs. American Heritage?


Sunday, April 6, 2008 - Untitled Comment

Posted by SmallWorld (24.151.178.103)

To see if there is a troop in your area, go here: http://ahgonline.org/pages/page.asp?page_id=20666

To read more about starting a troop, go here: http://ahgonline.org/pages/page.asp?page_id=19416

About AHG vs. GSUSA: There are lots of good articles here, some of them include comparisons of AHG and GSUSA. Hey, you can even read my article that was in The Old Schoolhouse Magazine! (That's the one titled "Homeschooling and AHG.")
http://ahgonline.org/pages/page.asp?page_id=19336

You can read about our journey from GSUSA to AHG here:
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/SmallWorld/75854/

I'd love to help you get started!

Permanent Link Edit Delete

Sunday, April 6, 2008 - Thank you for the info!

Posted by Jennifer in OR (69.88.229.219)

Thanks so much! I read your Girl Scouts/American Heritage Girls post. I'm sort of in a similar situation. My older son is a Cub Scout, and I do see a difference in the groups. I'm really not complaining because the Brownie troop leader is excellent, it's just the organization as a whole I wonder about...definitely need to do some investigating and thinking and praying...


Monday, April 7, 2008 - Untitled Comment

Posted by BChsMamaof3 (209.52.248.29)

I've never heard of anything like that here. We have brownies and girl guides only. When my mother was young though she was part of a group called Crusaders which sounds similar to your group but it no longer exists. Sounds like your american heritage girl's group is really great!
Blessings,
Rosina


Monday, April 7, 2008 - Untitled Comment

Posted by SmallWorld (24.151.178.103)

Rosina: Maybe someday someone will start a Canadian Heritage Girls!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to leave one. I have comment moderation on, so your comment will take a little bit to appear.