Saturday, June 16, 2007

Moccasin Overloada

June 16, 2007

I am seriously going to go into convulsions if I have to look at one more book or website about Native American crafts, food, games, or history. We've been preparing for our American Heritage Girl's summer day camp for several weeks now. (The badge focus, of course, is Native American.) Our 7th-12th grade girls, who will actually lead the camp, have done an awesome job with preparations; however, there are many, many odds and ends that Caroline and I have to do to be completely prepared. Camp starts bright and early Monday morning and ends Wednesday. This week we've spent 3-5 hours per day cutting, glueing, researching, making copies, writing, shopping, organizing, punching holes, etc. etc. etc. My eyes are about to pop out of my head. But there is light at the end of the tunnel.

The younger kids are at loose ends today. We had a late night with dinner guests, and they had a busy week with sleepovers (Laurel), Super Hero camp (Duncan), and their regular swimming practice. I did take some time out today to do a craft with Duncan (below).



I love Usborne's series that includes I Can Cut and Stick. This was one of the first Usborne Books I ever bought, and when I became a consultant, I acquired the rest of the series. I gave up selling years ago, but Donna would be happy to help anyone who is looking for Usborne! I Can Cut and Stick was always my favorite of the series because the projects are so simple but yield fabulous results. Duncan was thrilled with this 20 minute project.

But as usual, I digress. It's back to a couple more hours of camp preparation and then a relaxing evening with my family, who think I have gone AWOL. Oh, and the most awesome Native American book we have found is called More Than Moccasins: A Kid's Activity Guide to Traditional North American Indian Life. I highly recommend it for any Native American or American History study. It's packed full of crafts, food, games, toys, and other easy projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to leave one. I have comment moderation on, so your comment will take a little bit to appear.