Friday, February 23, 2007

Circus Day


So, weirdly, this has been a circus-themed week for me. Earlier this week I finished reading Water for Elephants, and today we actually went to the Ringling Brothers and Barnum & Bailey Circus! Early in the show, the Ringmaster asked, "How many of you have ever dreamed of being in the circus?" It's one of those questions when I think everybody is supposed to raise their hands, but I have absolutely never dreamed of being in the circus. I'm intrigued by behind-the-scenes circus life. I'm interested in the history of circuses. I'm curious about the people themselves--what makes one join a circus? But I"ve never had the slightest desire to be a circus performer or worker. Give me a nice quiet library, and I'll shelve some books.

I did a little more reading on circuses when I came home. This is a good website. It occurred to me after reading this that circus kids must be homeschooled. But I digress. The circus itself was awesome. We had incredible seats, and I loved watching my kids, especially Duncan. He was positively exuberant. Now he is the one I can see joining a circus--and come to think of it, he did raise his hand when the Ringmaster asked that question....

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to leave one. I have comment moderation on, so your comment will take a little bit to appear.